permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Exploding the myth of patents and copyright

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Exploding the myth of patents and copyright
  • Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 19:16:34 -0500

On 3/6/2012 2:59 PM, paul wheaton wrote:

If the pirates stopped pirating, then the big media would stop their
efforts to protect their rights and the internet would be safe.

> There is a great deal of truth here and a great deal of bullshit.

I think you forgot to take your meds today or you need to up the dose....

Remember the inventor of FM radio, Colonel Armstrong? Remember the media and electronics giant RCA and its head (or ass) Sarnoff (was he in cahoots with Stalin, Malenkov and Beria?)? Sarnoff ripped Armstrong's FM patents, would not pay anything near their worth. Armstrong spent the rest of his life trying to sue and collect from RCA. He finally gave up and went out his high rise apartment window.
His widow was interviewed on NPR and she described the scenario that unfolded when her husband won one lawsuit. He went to RCA's office to collect. When he reached his appointed contact person he was sitting at his desk crying, because they lost a legal battle and had to pay up!
Dis gus ting! So much for your contention about big media fairness.
Bullshit indeed.

The pirates should spend more time creating good content which they
can give away for free and less time stealing other people's content
and selling it for less.

A few podcasts on this topic and how it ties in with the third ethic:

Give me a preview; is this pro or con pc 3rd ethic?

I like to think that permaculture folks are blazing a bright healthy
trail of decency.

Of course they are; if you're in doubt then you have not been paying attention.

Not putting a white coat of paint on wickedness.

Not worth anyone's time even if they would bother.