permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Invasion of the flying robots - CNN.com - improved off grid power equipment for the future...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Invasion of the flying robots - CNN.com - improved off grid power equipment for the future...
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 20:41:55 -0000

If the military is using it the general public may not get to see it or benefit from it at all.
I have been trying for months to get my hands on some new Ni-Fe (nickel-iron) batteries because they are supposed to be non polluting and able to outlast lead-acid many times.
This is an old technology. Invented in Scandinavia I think more than a century ago but now only made in China. Then how come that only the military and mining companies seem to be able to source them?
I can only buy those batteries directly from the manufacturer in China and am stuck upon an import licence that is impossible to get.

Improved off- grid technology would be extremely wellcome at this stage but as long as it is not available somewhere nearby to us, the general population and at a reasonable price...
john