permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Can anyone identify this oriental vegetable variety; is it celtuce?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Can anyone identify this oriental vegetable variety; is it celtuce?
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 19:10:55 -0500

On 2/15/2012 6:33 PM, Ute Bohnsack wrote:
Hi Larry,
I think that's celtuce, alright. I was sent some Celtuce seeds by an Asian
lady in the
US many moons ago and grew it and it looked like the "orsun" shown in the
video.
I was given a green variety and one with a red tinge to the leaves, much like
you might see in other lettuce varieties.
Celtuce is Lactuca sativa convar. sativa var. angustana, as opposed to
butterhead/crisphead (var. capitata) or cos (var. longifolia) or loose-leaf
(var. crispa).
I vaguely remember stir-frying the thinly-sliced stem.

Thanks, Ute. I'm glad I ran across that video. It is delightful to see people actively involved in growing these wonderful vegetable varieties season to season, a pure delight. I am sold on traditional Asian foods, vegetables, cooking styles and more.
Celtuce is definitely something to grow each year for the table.

LL