permaculture - [permaculture] Advanced Permaculture Internships, 2012 PDC, and more!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Morris <earthsurfing@yahoo.com>
  • To: riseup list <northeasternpermaculture@lists.riseup.net>, Western Mass PC Guild <westernmapermacultureguild@lists.thepine.org>, Hudson Valley PC <permaculturehudsonvalley@lists.riseup.net>, PC listserve <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, "permaculture@lists.hampshire.edu" <permaculture@lists.hampshire.edu>, "Peter Bane \(updated email\)" <peter@permacultureactivist.net>, Scott Horton <editor@permacultureactivist.net>, NYC Permaculture <permaculture-61@meetup.com>, Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Advanced Permaculture Internships, 2012 PDC, and more!
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 10:34:46 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,

I hope you all are enjoying the lengthening days and sings of spring around
us!  Here's a few brief announcements regarding our internship program, our
2012 Permaculture Design Certificationcourse, Workshop Series, Tree Crops
Symposium, and Plant Sale, and some other opportunities, courses, and events
of note.

Advanced Permaculture Design, Build, Grow, Teach Internships:

Prospect Rock Permaculture and Willow Crossing Farm are excited to announce
an expansion of our internship program for the 2012 growing season.  We''ll
be having 4 focus-track residential internship positions for permaculture
designers, growers, builders, and educators looking to further develop
professional practice.  Please share with potentially interested friends,
networks, students, etc.

The focus tracks are:

Food and Medicine Production / Plant Animal Systems:  This intern will assist
and be guided in developing skills with our food and medicinal herb
production; nursery work for organic fruit and nut trees, berries, and vines;
natural beekeeping; integrated poultry systems; conservation plantings;
wildcrafting; greenhouse management (passive solar attached and Vermont's
first rolling greenhouse designed for unheated winter production).  They will
work with the Natural Building Intern in developing food storage and
processing facilities, and the Whole Systems Design Intern in advising on the
plant and animal components of garden and farm design for clients, etc.

Natural Building/ Earthworks/ Design-Build: This intern will be more focused
on building systems- building design, carpentry, timberframing, natural walls
and insulation, living roofs, integrated greenhouses, site work and
foundations, drainage, regenerative earthworks, biodiesel powered machine use
and maintenance, gravity and spring fed water systems, energy and waste
management systems, etc.

Whole-Systems Design:   This intern will be more focused on the client and
presentation/ ‘deliverables’ end of the design spectrum- presentation
graphics, map making, media generation, professional site analysis, client
liaison, etc.

Permaculture Education: This intern will be assist with educational
offerings, the farm workshop series, curriculum development, public
presentations, outreach, web and media generation, etc.  Ideally, this intern
has some of the most experience with the other fields.

While each of these positions will obviously be working in an integrated way
on all of these tracks, the ‘focus tracks’ will help us to help people
develop their skills within a particular focus, and also help with management
and task delineation on the farm and in the design/ build business to work
more effectively as a team.  Ideally, each applicant has already successfully
completed a Permaculture Design Certification course (PDC), and has a
portfolio of designs and implemented projects.

We have a two-bedroom apartment in a duplex downtown (2 miles from the farm),
and will be offering housing there and/or camping at our farm.  We will also
be building some other housing options (including a treehouse) during the
summer.  The program will run from May- October, although there would be the
potential for the right people to stay on longer if they so desire.

Johnson is a relatively dynamic and vibrant town for northern VT, home to a
state college, an international art school, and nearby a variety of awesome
farms, wild places, tourism attractions, and resorts.  There is regularly
live music and other events, and we're about 45 minutes from Burlington and
Montpelier.

With housing and some meals and produce provided, it is an unpaid internship.
 However, we are certainly willing to share the proceeds of market sales,
educational workshops, and design and building work for clients- relative to
interns’ contribution to those income streams.

As for us, we just had our second child, and live between the farm seasonally
and a separate apartment in the building downtown.  My partner works in the
healing arts as an herbalist, massage and yoga therapist, and we’re both very
involved as parents.  I juggle the farm and my design firm, while teaching
evenings at UVM (and with other schools), and run some workshops on our farm.
 Please let us know of your interest immediately, and which focus track.
There is an application on our website which is due by the end of the month,
and I’ll notify those selected in mid-March.  Ideally, we’ll be meeting with
each of the applicants, so if anything is bringing you to the area, please be
in touch.

While we are limited in our ability to support just 4 full-time residential
interns, we are always willing to set up individual and shorter term
apprenticeships to help Permaculture Design Course Graduates develop
professional, community-scale skills.Visit www.prospectrock.org or email
keith@prospectrock.org for more information, and check out the 'Opportunities
Page' for additional details.

Botanical Illustrator sought.  We are looking for an experience botanical
artist with an existing portfolio of biologically accurate drawings to
collaborate on a variety of projects.

Willow Crossing Farm Workshop Series:  We'll be hosting a variety of
workshops this year starting with Orchard Pruning this Sunday February 19,
and will have workshops on Fruit Tree Grafting, Propagation, Nut Production,
Spring Development for Gravity Fed Irrigation, Wood-Chip Clay Insulation,
Earth Oven Construction, Greenhouse Design, Efficient Irrigation, Winter
Vegetable Production, and more!  Send an email with your interest of
subscribe to prospectrock.org to be alerted as calendar details are finalized.

5th Annual Permaculture Design Certification Course with Burlington
Permaculture!  July 15-27.  Registrations are already rolling in, reserve
your place in the regions longest established independent Permaculture Design
Course now.  Immersion in Ecological Design and Regenerative Growing,
entirely farm-sourced food, at the northeast's only site fully funded by
financial permaculture and our own sweat equity.  Also available for 5
Credits through the University of Vermont, fully accredited andimmediately
transferrable to any school.

Our Annual Plant Sale will be held Saturday and Sunday May 5-6!

Again, we'll be offering our own selections of entirely organic, norther
grown fruits, nuts, berries, and vines, including some very rare
permaculture-system trialed hybrid nuts, sugar trees, windbreaks, and more.

Lastly, we're very excited to be joining Andrew Faust and the good folks at
www.homebiome.com for their New York City PDC!  There are very few spaces
left, and it starts this weekend.  Sign up now, or tell your friends
interested in the urban applications of permaculture design.

We're excited to announce the first Annual TREE CROPS SYMPOSIUM August 2-3,
2012, with Dave Jacke, and the nation's leading tree crops experts.  Save the
Date!

Thank you for all you do and sharing these opportunities with your networks
and interested friends!

Best,
Keith

________________________________
Keith Morris
Prospect Rock Permaculture
Design and Education for Ecological Culture
[www.ProspectRock.org]
P.O. Box 426
Jeffersonville, VT 05464
Keith@ProspectRock.org
(802) 734-1129

"If we do not do the impossible, we shall be faced with the unthinkable."
Murray Bookchin (1921-2006)

>From cory8570@yahoo.com Wed Feb 15 15:50:35 2012
q9vY6boBbYctgsoWeWAcDo3SKHQ--