permaculture - Re: [permaculture] PASA and Permaculture - Feb 2012

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] PASA and Permaculture - Feb 2012
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 11:00:04 -0500

On 12/22/2011 10:43 AM, Carl DuPoldt wrote:

-February 1& 2, 2012 - Permaculture Training WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 1
Introduction to Permaculture Principles& Concepts Focus on
integrated systems design, intensive food production, energy
conservation and storage and biodiversity enhancement in this guided
tour of permaculture's core principles.

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 2 Applying Permaculture Design to Urban& Rural
Landscapes Learn how permaculture can be applied to any environment,
at any scale, from dense urban settlements to individual homes, from
farms to entire regions.

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 2 Advanced Orchard Health for Sustainable Fruit
Production Join orchard health expert Michael Phillips for a day of
in-depth orchard care designed for fruit producers looking for
sustainable and nature-based production techniques.
http://www.pasafarming.org/conference2012/pretracks.htm

http://www.pasafarming.org/conference2012/track_3.htm

Wednesday, February 1

This pre-conference track will present the basics of permaculture
principles, focusing on integrated systems design, intensive food
production, energy conservation and storage and biodiversity enhancement
of a living landscape. Participants will walk away with a general
overview of permaculture, inspiration and a desire to learn more.

AGENDA
9:00-10:15 am Permaculture: Design for Regenerative Descent
Darrell Frey, Three Sisters Farm; Dave Jacke, Dynamics Ecological Design

After thousands of years of cultural development, humanity now stands on
a mountaintop. Though we can see the whole world from here, storms
threaten from many directions, so descending to safety is an attractive
and sensible proposition. How do we as a species gracefully and
ethically descend from this peak of population, debt, ecosystem damage,
energy and resource use, and pollution and waste production?
Permaculture offers a practical vision, an inspiring design approach,
and a worldwide network of engaged practitioners to help us get off the
exposed peak, heal the planet, our communities and ourselves, and make
our homes in healthy, rich and productive landscapes.

10:30am-12:00pm Principles of Permaculture
Juliette Jones, Pittsburgh Permaculture

Juliette will share the principles which guide permaculture design.
These principles are based on observation of natural ecosystems. Some of
the principles discussed include: observe and interact; small and slow
solutions; catch and store energy; design from patterns to details; and
creatively use and respond to change. Learn how to apply these
principles to make your farm and home gardening systems more efficient
and enjoyable.

12:00-1:00pm Lunch
1:00-2:30pm The Medium is the Message: Ecological Design Process
Dave Jacke, Dynamics Ecological Design

Permaculture seeks to create human habitats that mimic natural
ecosystems, offering productive, dynamic designs for our challenging
times, climate, and future. Yet, we can only achieve an ecological
design result if we use an ecological design process. This
process—articulating our goals, analyzing and assessing our site,
designing from patterns to details, implementing, and evaluating—is
itself an integrated system. It teaches us not only how to integrate
each person's and site's inherent characteristics, but also how to
create healthy "human natures." We'll explore ecological design
processes using a forest garden design case study, and discuss how the
process changes who we think we are and our relationships with the land.

2:45-4:00pm Permaculture Principles & Practice at Three Sisters Farm
Darrell Frey, Three Sisters Farm

Since 1985, Darrel Frey has developed Three Sisters Farm by applying
permaculture design. This session will examine in detail the use of
permaculture principles and good ecology in the design and management of
the market gardens and bioshelter at Three Sisters.

4:00-4:45pm Permaculture Community & Resources
Juliette Jones, Pittsburgh Permaculture

The key to permaculture's success, and what makes it such powerful tool,
is its emphasis on collaboration and community development. Learn how to
tap into the developing permaculture network within PA and the Northeast
region. Hear about active organizations and projects. Gain a list of
useful websites, textbook resources and publications.

4:45-5:00pm Wrap Up & Questions
Dinner on Your Own
7:00-9:00pm Optional: Design Clinic & Lounge

Pre-conference permaculture workshop participants are invited to bring
information on their homes, gardens and farms to gain more specific
insight into how to apply permaculture design to their own situation.
Workshop instructors will be on hand to answer questions in groups and
individually, and may also have design projects of their own to share.
All participants are invited to share resources and information as time
allows.

Presenters:
Darrell Frey, Three Sisters Permaculture
Darrell Frey, author of Bioshelter Market Garden: A Permaculture Farm,
has been a permaculture practicioner, consultant and teacher since 1986.
Darrell is owner and manager of Three Sisters Farm in Sandy Lake, PA.
The bioshelter at Three Sisters is a 3000 sq ft. solar and wood heated
greenhouse. Since 1989 the bioshelter and gardens at Three Sisters have
provided herbs, flowers, plants and produce to customers in western
Pennsylvania.

Juliette Jones, Pittsburgh Permaculture
Juliette Jones studied sustainable agriculture and permaculture design
at Slippery Rock University. She has worked with Permaculture experts
Dave Jacke and Darrell Frey, teaching courses on Edible Forest Gardening
and Permaculture Design. She is currently teaching Growing Sustainably
Lab for Chatham University's Food Studies program. Notable design
experience includes design and installation of Pittsburgh's first food
forest in Hazelwood, demonstration gardens for Phipps Conservatory and
an edible garden for the Children's Museum of Pittsburgh.

Dave Jacke, Dynamics Ecological Design
Dave Jacke coauthored the award-winning two-volume book Edible Forest
Gardens. After graduating from the Conway School of Landscape Design in
1984, he homesteaded in NH for number of years. He has designed gardens,
homes, communities and farms throughout the US, as well as overseas. His
main crops now: forest gardeners and permaculture teachers and designers.