permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Swale Riddle

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: loren luyendyk <loren@sborganics.com>
  • To: Permaculture Listserve <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Swale Riddle
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 22:17:31 +0000

Hi Micheal-

You could "dam" the upper section, placing the dam wall where the slope
changes. This will trap water until the upper section fills, then spilling
into the lower section (make spill-way lower that sides of swale). To
maximize water harvesting in a swale I like to dig infiltration pits filled
with gravel along the bottom.

Sorry we missed you at Bona Fide in 2009...
http://surferswithoutborders.blogspot.com/2009/05/planting-seeds.html

peace
Loren Luyendyk
ISA Certified Arborist #WE 7805A