permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Recommended forest garden plants

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Recommended forest garden plants
  • Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 19:34:16 -0500

On 11/5/2011 3:05 PM, georg parlow wrote:
Hi Lawrence,

I am missing (propably amongst other things - but this one is a great
cropper and so easily grown, that the lack just jumped on me)
Fagopyrum dibotrys (D.Don) H.Hara, Syn.: Polygonum cymosum Trevir. -
this is a perennial buckwheat, that is traditionally used in the
Himalayas for a spinach. It does not set a lot of seeds, so it might
be an interesting parent for a future perennial seed buckwheat, but as
is it is a great perennial spinach, very mild (without the 'wild food'
flavor - as a matter of fact my brother-in-law who owned an italian
restaurant carried it off in full trunk loads and served it to
unknowing customers as ordinary spinach in italian dishes), and once
established it grown about 1.5 meters high and produces so heavily
that it can be slashed for mulch when you get tired of the green stuff
in summer. Here in eastern Austria it needs a somewhat protected place
in the garden (close to a wall for wind protection and a bit sun
trapping), but I guess in somewhat milder climates it could run

rampant. I originally got the seeds from seedsman J. L. Hudson
http://www.jlhudsonseeds.com/

JL Hudson...wonderful source; that company has been around for decades.
Thanks for the addition to the list, George. I will Google this plant and see what I can find. I could probably grow it here in Zone 6-7. It sounds delicious. Here, spinach seedlings can stand 5 degree F weather with wind chill.

I will add another plan to the list: tea, camellia sinensis. Can be grown in part shhade for best quality tea leaves or even in total shade.
Te seeds contain a lot of edible oil and it is also used by woodworkers
to protect hand tools and as a wood finish; in this context it is called camellia oil.

Have you visited Sepp Holzer's farm yet? If so tell us about it. He is one of my all time heroes as is Paul Wheaton for promoting him so actively.

LL