permaculture - [permaculture] Salatian idea for edible college campuses applied in real life?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Justin Hahn <justin.hahn@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Salatian idea for edible college campuses applied in real life?
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 15:04:15 -1000

Hello all,

Most of you know about Joel Salatin. He wrote the attached article for
Acres USA. It's a brilliant discussion of how college and university
campuses can be used to produce food, lower carbon foot prints, and
all that great permacultural stuff. Common sense, blindly-obvious
stuff.

I have two questions for the list: 1) Is this sort of thing happening
anywhere? Either as a result of Salatin's article, or not. and 2) Are
there any white papers/procedural notes on the process?

I ask because I am a student on a sustainability board, and we are
looking for projects to lower our university's ecological damage
print. While all the other members of the board are talking about PV
systems, energy audits, and recycling campaigns (all very great
things), I'm thinking like a permaculturist: I want some delicious
fruit trees to pick from on the way to class. :)

So, as I compose the proposal, some guidelines would be helpful. I'd
hate to reinvent the wheel, so to speak.

Any help would be appreciated.
Mahalo and aloha,

Justin Hahn
University of Hawaii, Windward Community College Sustainability Alliance
Fellow.

  • [permaculture] Salatian idea for edible college campuses applied in real life?, Justin Hahn, 10/24/2011