permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Interesting observations in the field and forest - during late afternoon walkabout.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Interesting observations in the field and forest - during late afternoon walkabout.
  • Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 00:08:33 -0400

On 9/30/2011 9:54 PM, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

1) Control of invasive Bermuda Grass is possible using interplanting
or overseeding of lespedeza, maybe sericea lespedeza, a perennial:
"Sericea lespedeza spreads primarily by seeds. The method of seed
dispersal is probably by animals." (wind or runoff).
This is a wonderful plant. It can take over a field as it provides
fertility through fixation of atmospheric nitrogen. It will outcompete
many plants that become problems for farmers or gardeners, i.e. Johnson
grass, Bermuda grass, redroot pigweed, winter ryegrass, fescue grass,
crabgrass and many other "weeds" (compostable). It has done this for me
in a large field I have left fallow and I am grateful for it. I think I
have it from a deliberate planting I made a long time ago. I bought a
bag of sericea lespedeza and spread it over about .5 acre. It is
extremely hardy resisting cold, heat, prolonged rainfall and drought.
It will thrive in poor, dry, compacted, unfertilized soil where you
often find Bermuda growing. I am watching an unwanted patch of Bermuda
disappear within an ever spreading stand of Lespedeza.

Other useful plants to include in a biodiverse system that is to be established in a garden or field for habitat, companion, guild, forage, weed biocontrol, or harvest for one reason or another such as material for mulch or compost could include the following:
goldenrod, ragweed, wild millet, wild amaranth, ground ivy, burdock, curly dock, marsh mallow, wild mustard and many other annual and perennial plant species that could serve as food and habitat for beneficial creatures and microorganisms or otherwise contribute to the food chains in the various ecological zones on site.

  • Re: [permaculture] Interesting observations in the field and forest - during late afternoon walkabout., Lawrence F. London, Jr., 10/01/2011