permaculture - Re: [permaculture] deer protection

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] deer protection
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 07:54:04 -0600

My experience has been that deer get used to anything that isn't a danger to
them. I tried them all: fishing line, soaps, sprays, bone and blood meal,
predator pee, noise on a motion sensor, on and on. If it wasn't associated
with a real threat, deer, not being stupid, will learn that. These were mule
deer, and when food gets scarce (a dry Western fall, say) they get very
aggressive and will break temporary fencing down, uproot small trees, and eat
leaves that have been coated with pepper spray or fish meal.

I tried 2 short fences about 4 feet apart. Worked for a while. Then a smart
buck figured out how to jump over the outer fence at a corner, and the hop
over the inner fence. He taught it to other deer.

I eventually got a dog and an 8-foot fence. Should have done that at the
beginning, although we didn't want to for lots of reasons. I lost a lot of
trees, shrubs, and veggies, and was ticked off a lot of the time. Problem
solved, end of hassle.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com