permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] Plantwise initiative

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, Market Farming <marketfarming@lists.ibiblio.org>, Seed Keepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] Plantwise initiative
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 07:28:28 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [SANET-MG] Plantwise initiative
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 09:43:38 +0000
From: Anton Doroszenko <a.doroszenko@CABI.ORG>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Hi All,

Sanetters may like to hear about the Plantwise initiative (http://www.plantwise.org/) led by the not-for-profit science-based development and information organization CABI (http://www.cabi.org ), which aims to empower farmers in the poorest rural areas of the world by providing them with practical advice backed by the latest research. The aim is not just to help the farmers grow more but to lose less.

The 'How far have we got?' section of the home page is impressive given that the project is less than 2 years old:

<QUOTE>"We have built a fully working prototype of the knowledge bank, containing detailed pest distribution maps, diagnostic facility and treatment support. We have already helped establish over 147 plant clinics in 14 countries and are running pilots in 5 more countries. These clinics have helped over 100,000 smallholder farmers and their families. We have brought together over 60 local partners and 7 international partners to make the clinic programme and the knowledge bank a reality. We have initial funds of $11 million from our donors DFID (UK Department for International Development) and SDC (Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation). This is just the beginning. This is a new initiative, barely 2 years old and we have plans to help millions more farmers and researchers access the knowledge they need to improve food security and people's lives."<UNQUOTE>

The Plantwise project manager, Margo Leach, says "we are keen to receive feedback to help shape forward development. Feedback can be sent to plantwise@cabi.org<mailto:plantwise@cabi.org>."

Plantwise are actively looking for more donors and are keen to develop clinic partners, content partners and leadership partners. Contact details are here: http://www.plantwise.org/default.aspx?site=234&page=4310

Regards,

Anton

Anton Doroszenko
Thesaurus Manager
CABI Head Office
Nosworthy Way
Wallingford
Oxfordshire
OX10 8DE
United Kingdom

Telephone: +44 (0) 1491 829366
Fax: +44 (0) 1491 833508
Email: a.doroszenko@cabi.org<mailto:a.doroszenko@cabi.org>
Email: thesaurus@cabi.org<mailto:thesaurus@cabi.org>
Visit us at www.cabi.org<http://www.cabi.org/>
Thesaurus web site at www.cabi.org/cabthesaurus/<http://www.cabi.org/cabthesaurus/>

CABI improves people's lives worldwide by providing
information and applying scientific expertise to solve
problems in agriculture and the environment

P Think Green - don't print this email unless you really need to

If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by e-mail at cabi@cabi.org or by telephone on +44 (0)1491 832111 and then delete the e-mail and any copies of it.

CABI is an International Organization recognised by the UK Government under Statutory Instrument 1982 No. 1071...

  • [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] Plantwise initiative, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 08/24/2011