permaculture - Re: [permaculture] mulch and arthropod herbivore habitat

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Alan Post <alanpost@sunflowerriver.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] mulch and arthropod herbivore habitat
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 08:28:58 -0600

I live in the Rio Grande Bosque in New Mexico, and use the same
strategy as Michael. Mulch partway through the first year after
seedlings are established, and maintain a mulch layer after that.

I also haven't observed sowbugs, pill bugs, or earwigs to be a
problem. I actually maintain separate habitat for them (we call it
"Bug Town", because that habitat attracts skinks and mice, which
attracts road runners, &c.

-Alan