permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [soilandhealth] Memorial Day (poem)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [soilandhealth] Memorial Day (poem)
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 11:29:26 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [soilandhealth] Memorial Day
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 08:44:51 -0500
From: Sara Mandal-Joy <smjlist@wavewls.com>
To: soilandhealth@yahoogroups.com

I wrote this poem back in the early 80's, after walking on the mall of a
midwest university and hearing an army recruiter's boom box with
patriotic music while he was hollering over the bullhorn about all the
wonderful things we were doing in El Salvador. It made me feel like
vomiting. Have similar feelings today. I am not dissing the soldiers
or dishonoring their service - I genuinely care about them and their
families. I am however angry about our aggressive military policy
across the world. I find I want to put this out there on some list I am
on each year at this time - may have done it here before?? At any rate:

Memorial Day

Strains of patriotic music play

Honoring death in the name of democracy

"Home of the brave and the free..."

"Sweet land of liberty..."

"In God do we trust!"

In God _do_ I trust?

Not a god whose gluttonous hand

Grabs, ravaging, throughout our Motherland

Not a god whose possessive "strength" is shown:

In destruction

In weapons

In violation of all kinds

Violation of body, heart, soul, and mind

and

In death....

death of Land

death of the Mama holding her child's hand

death of Spirit, of Soul, of Life, of Heart, of all that is Whole.

death..................

This in the name of democracy?!

My shame and my rage overwhelm me!

Chorus: We are the weavers of this global Earth

We will own our souls as life's womb

We will create, and we will transform bleeding Earth -

She is still warm!

She is Mama, and She lives in me.

In Goddess DO I trust.

She who created Earth, and is Earthly,

who created Her image in me.

She who heals with song and mirth,

who nurtures and gives birth.

She who teaches and learns,

who releases and dancing returns.

She who lives in me,

lives in Earth,

and in all that Be!

She teaches of Wholeness, of global rebirth,

of new tools of freedom -

fluid, unbound, circular, grounded in Earth

of full and sacred

Body, Heart, Soul, and Mind

of all kinds

In me and all with whom

(in vibrancy and healing, integrative desire and intent)

I share this global home.

I hold her lovingly in my womb.

(Repeat) Chorus:

We are the weavers of this global Earth

We will own our souls as life's womb

We will create, and we will transform bleeding Earth -

She is still warm!

She is Mama, and She lives in me.

Sara Mandal-Joy

_

  • [permaculture] Fwd: [soilandhealth] Memorial Day (poem), Lawrence F. London, Jr., 05/30/2011