permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture and horses

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Neil Bertrando <neilbertrando@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture and horses
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 16:51:51 -0700

Hi Cory,

I recommend looking at Peter Donovan's website managingwholes.org If you
follow the tabs on the sidebar there are several examples with horses. You
could try contacting the practitioners directly regarding their experiences
and recommendations.

Here's two articles linked to from managing wholes
Thomas Elpel http://www.wildflowers-and-weeds.com/wtrampling.htm
<http://www.wildflowers-and-weeds.com/wtrampling.htm>the Knox's in Ukiah
http://managingwholes.com/knox.htm

<http://managingwholes.com/knox.htm>You might want to use the Holistic
Management Handbook as a reference for setting up and managing horse pasture
rotation systems.
http://holisticmanagement.org/store//page1.html

I'm interested in good forage/fodder species for horses as well. Trees and
Shrubs in particular. My very basic understanding is that horse's diets are
much more restrictive than goats, sheep, or cattle.

Any specific tree or shrub species to avoid would be helpful as well.

We have a horse but not enough land to rotate him, so we've set aside a
'sacrifice paddock'. I'd like to supplement our feed costs with on-site
fodder production from a windbreak or intercrop planting.

We've devised some systems thoughts for this 'sacrifice paddock' as well:
runoff surface, firebreak, view corridor, and potential site for shallow
geothermal well/storage system. Any other thoughts?