permaculture - [permaculture] Accepting apprentices/volunteers for Pine Ridge Lakota reservation project

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: cory@permacultureguild.us
  • Subject: [permaculture] Accepting apprentices/volunteers for Pine Ridge Lakota reservation project
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 08:40:51 -0700 (PDT)

I am writing from the Oglala-Lakota Cultural and Economic Revitalization
Initiative, located on an 8000 acre ranch at Pine Ridge reservation, home of
Wounded Knee and quite a lot of indigenous history. We are a permaculture
project whose purpose is to facilitate sovereignty, regeneration and
resilience of the Lakota people.
There are many opportunities to expand our program onto the rez this year and
we're hoping to do that, but we need more hands!
We are currently installing a demonstration permaculture garden with swales,
a pond, various demonstration gardening techniques, and many interesting
plants (including grains, herbs, perennials, heirlooms, natives). We also
plan to install the first phase of a demonstration food forest, using
no-irrigation methods.  We have a large swale system (large scale water
catchment/erosion control) and keypoint dam to install, and if we can get
sufficient volunteers, we can plant 100's of trees as windbreaks this year.
We are wrapping up construction on a root cellar and straw bale building. We
want to put in rainwater catchment, and also a graywater system. We have
various other projects planned or ongoing - vermicomposting, building solar
dehydrators, a solar oven, biochar production, and other appropriate
technology. There are many opportunities to increase your skill level here!
We are looking for people especially between now and end of June. May is a
key month to get the gardening aspects done but there are many things we can
do in June too, and we can plant trees through June and do much of the other
infrastructure any time. The sooner we do these things, the more we will be
able to do with outreach this year. We will be holding workshops on all of
these things as well.
Please forward this to anybody you know who might want to help out!
As a note, we have hosted school groups here - they can camp and visit the
local areas, and then we can also provide youth workshops (nature
appreciation, horsebackriding, permaculture gardening, tree planting,
building, and many other choices), apprentice days, etc. That's a great way
for us to get smaller projects done and also give the youth a great
experience they will never forget. We also take on responsible home schoolers
as apprentices.
We have a wild horse rescue program that will be connected to a horse and
rider program for youth which is very exciting and connected to a project to
regenerate the rangelands (more than 8000 acres and possibly up to 25,000 and
beyond).
Other planned projects include building a greenhouse, aquaponics, high
efficiency stoves, and more. This is a project in its beginning stages but we
are set up to move very rapidly - we would like to be off-grid or close to it
in a number of areas by the end of this summer.
In addition, we are doing a lot of reach out to the rez and have many
opportunities to interact with youth and others.  We would like to do ALL of
this and could do it, with your help. We welcome experienced permaculturists,
and beginners. We can find something to do for everyone.  This is a rich
experience that you can get as much out of as you're willing to put into it.
We are all doing this as volunteer work right now. I have been volunteering
since 2008 (very part time starting 2006). The reservation has 90% or more
unemployment at times, is the poorest county in the nation and has many other
harsh situations. We can make a difference!  There are some wonderful people
here on the rez who have lots of hope and energy and are creating their
future as a sovereign nation. As one medicine man told me, he doesn't need or
want charity, but we are now at a time in history where it is time for all of
us to help one another - across racial and cultural differences, to heal the
wounds of the past.  If you have considered volunteering as a WWOOFer, this
is a great way to really make a difference. We are working on funding to be
able to pay stipends to long term volunteers and this is a possibility this
year.  We believe in cooperation, mutual respect, caring, and facilitating
creativity and personal growth. We believe there
is no better way to learn than by doing.  There is a lot of work to be done,
but it is done under a huge sky and big open range with some of the most
beautiful cloud formations I've ever seen, anywhere, and there is a lot of
fun to be had too!
Please contact me with any questions. You can also learn more about the
project at facebook.com/permacultureguild4,  facebook.com/olceri,
permacultureguild.usolceri.org.
The web sites are a bit out of date because we are busy! We do have a couple
of articles coming out updating a lot of stuff that has happened since our
last update, so check back. We update most regularly on the two facebook
pages.
Mitakuye Oyasin,
Cory Brennan