permaculture - [permaculture] Keyline Plow info

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Darren Doherty <darren@permaculture.biz>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Keyline Plow info
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 08:37:51 +1000

G'day Glenn,

Coulters are only really necessary when you have pasture as they minimise
the amount of disturbance to the sod. I use the fluted coulters as well as
these minimise glazing unlike flat coulters. Using the shanks without
coulters results in some tearing of the sod. As you can see from the video
from Spain the coulters do also act to increase the tilth ahead of the shank
resulting in a better soil condition for the sowing of seed with either a
seed box or some of Yeomans Shank Pot Seeders...

As I often say to students and clients, P.A. Yeomans himself developed his
soil building processes (from 1952 to 1973) using a Graham Hoeme chisel plow
not the rigid shank , smooth cutting device we have today (which was
released in 1974 as the Bunyip Slipper Imp with Shakaerator). You can see
the use and outcome of a chisel plow in this
video<http://vimeo.com/13323213>which we put online last year (thanks
to Geoff Booth and Phil Gall). The
most important thing therefore is the pattern of cultivation that Yeomans
developed and the follow-up with timely grazing or flail mulching/blade
mowing right at the boot stage (just before flowering). Certainly the chisel
plow creates a lot of surface disturbance and is more progressive in harder
conditions, whereas the rigid shanks cut to the chase and rip right through
compacted layers right away...

Some useful YouTube links are as follows where the Keyline Plow is featured
are as follows:

Yeomans Keyline Plow <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpAPRlg2Zgs> - where I
describe the plow and its use in the field - at Keyline Design Course (KDC),
Orella Ranch, CA, 2007
Keyline Plowing Background - Vermont Keyliner, Mark Krawczyk bought a plow
in 2008 after doing our KDC in Vermont in 2007 as describes its use here in
the conditions they have up there.
Keyline Plowing in Albendin,
Spain<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ2Fg1nxtDY>- Spanish Keyliner
(and 2007 KDC student), Jesus
Ruiz <http://www.lineaclave.org/web/> (who bought a 6SB Yeomans Frame &
Roller and has now developed his own
SuperPlow<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLe_klj8oSc>based on our
design) putting his plow into action
RegenAG Keyline Promo <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-QCZG51EnM> - RegenAG
Keyline Farming Course Overview (featuring P.A. Yeomans) - this also
includes our
SuperPlow<https://picasaweb.google.com/permaculture.biz/KeylineSuperPlowRD?feat=directlink>in
action
After One Keyline
Plow<http://www.youtube.com/user/australiafelix#p/u/12/1Nx4I8CYyQI>-
Showing the visible changes after one Keyline Plow

PhotoLinks (off of the Australia Felix Permaculture
PhotoLog<https://picasaweb.google.com/permaculture.biz>
):

Keyline Plow
Trailer<https://picasaweb.google.com/permaculture.biz/KeylinePlowTrailer_Mexico?feat=directlink>-
In Mexico my good mate and Linea Clave Compadre Eugenio Gras made a
great
trailer for his 6SB....
Keyline Plow
Linkage<https://picasaweb.google.com/permaculture.biz/KeylinePlow_Linkage?feat=directlink>
Keyline Plow Trailing
<https://picasaweb.google.com/permaculture.biz/KeylinePlow_Trailing?feat=directlink>
Keyline Plow
Hydraulic<https://picasaweb.google.com/permaculture.biz/KeylinePlow_Hydraulic?feat=directlink>
Keyline Plow
Various<https://picasaweb.google.com/permaculture.biz/KeylinePlow_Various?feat=directlink>
Keyline Plow
Rollers<https://picasaweb.google.com/permaculture.biz/KeylinePlowRollers?feat=directlink>
Keyline Plow
Horticulture<https://picasaweb.google.com/permaculture.biz/KeylinePlow_Horticulture?feat=directlink>

Audio Interview with P.A. Yeomans (3CR Melbourne 1979)

AgroInnovations Podcast
#103<http://agroinnovations.com/index.php/en_us/multimedia/blogs/2010/08/episode-103-p-a-yeomans-and-the-bunyip-slipperimp-with-shakerator/>
AgroInnovations Podcast
#104<http://agroinnovations.com/index.php/en_us/multimedia/blogs/podcast/2010/09/episode-104-discovering-keyline/>

And no I don't receive any kickbacks from the Yeomans Plow Company, I am
just an admiring and dedicated user of their products (where appropriate)
and the indeed the whole Keyline Design system defined by P.A. Yeomans.

I put the link up for Royal Purdy on my first response in reply to this
thread but in case anybody missed it: http://www.ahtuttle.com/

--
Hooroo,
Darren J. Doherty

2011 RegenAG <http://goog_1946592595>® <http://www.regenag.com/> Workshop
Series Australia & Aotearoa/New Zealand
Autumn 2011 EU RegenAG® Tour with Darren Doherty - Spain, UK, Germany, EU
AUSTRALIA FELIX PERMACULTURE
Broadacre Permaculture Design & Development
International Permaculture Education

Patron Fundacion + Arboles <http://www.masarboles.org/>, España
Head of RegenAG®, Ecosystem Investment Management Australia Pty.
Ltd.<http://www.eima.com.au/>
Vice President New Soil Security Inc. (US)
Originator: RegenAG® <http://www.regenag.com/> Workshop Series

Web <http://www.permaculture.biz/>
<http://picasaweb.google.com/permaculture.biz>
PhotoLog <http://picasaweb.google.com/permaculture.biz>
Australia Felix Permaculture
Blog<http://www.australiafelixpermaculture.blogspot.com/>
RegenAG® Blog <http://regenag.blogspot.com/>

skype: permaculture.biz
phone: +61 431 444 836
and you will be removed from future dispatches.....

RegenAG® is a Registered Trademark of Darren J. Doherty

This message is only for the use of the addressee. The contents of this
email (including attachments) may be privileged and confidential. Any legal
privilege is not waived by mistaken delivery. If you are not the intended
recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email or attachments
to the intended recipient please notify the sender by return email or by
telephone on +61 (0) 431 444 836 and purge the message stored in any
electronic medium.