permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] The Failure of the Genome

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] The Failure of the Genome
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 11:38:22 -0600

This article takes the typical journalist "gotta get a controversial angle"
stance and gets a lot of it wrong. For example,

"The human genome sequencing project was based on a huge, but calculated,
gamble. The then leaders-to-be of the project believed that faulty genes
inherited from our parents were probably the cause of most disease."

But then they quote the leader of the federal genome project who agrees that
there have been no significant cures. And the leader of the private project,
Craig Venter, always said it was more for the sake of doing it, to see the
patterns that reside in the genome, rather than to find cures. Every
geneticist I worked with for years understood that the correlation between
any single gene and a disease was going to be very murky. But the power of
DNA sequencing tools is immense, and is rewriting botanical taxonomy and
evolutionary relationships, among many other things, even if the practical
payoff, in terms of products and cures, is never going to amount to much.
What we're learning about the patterns of inheritance and evolution is
enormous.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com