permaculture - [permaculture] June Bug Festival May 15, 2011 in C-Tex

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marjory <forestgarden@gvtc.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] June Bug Festival May 15, 2011 in C-Tex
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 08:35:39 -0500

*BUG EATING FESTIVAL May 15th, 2011 (5pm to 7:30pm)
*

Bring the kids! Bring yourself! But leave everything you've been taught about good table manners at home. We're gonna eat bugs! Entomophogy...The worldwide practice of eating insects (and spiders). Big fat juicy ones, wee little skinny ones, we're all gonna eat bugs. Why not do it in a fun and friendly environment - you never know when you might really need it....

Allen Davisson will be visiting us for our fourth year to create another amazing evening that you and your kids will be remember for the rest of your lives. Kids under 18 yrs old are free for the Bug festival. If you have a camera, bring it! We will be preparing tasty treats of grasshoppers, crickets, spiders, katydids, bees, wasps, wormy things and if we're lucky, a scorpion or two.

This will be a BYOB (Bring Your Own Bugs to share) party; start catching them early so we have lots! They can be stored in a bag in the freezer until the 15th but get an early start so we have a swarm.

This will also be a 'normal' potluck so *bring a dish of ordinary food to share. *Bring a dish large enough to feed 8 hungry people.

Grasshoppers, crickets, katydids... keep them alive overnight so they get a chance to "purge" then freeze em.
Wasp nests... into a jar with the whole nest... NOTHING will be wasted.
Wolf Spiders... put on a headlamp and their eyes glow like green laser emeralds at night. They taste like chicken but they'll eat each other so keep em separate.
Grubs...new on our menu this year... not for the faint of heart.
Mealworms.... Usually from the pet store but we wouldn't want to miss em!
Scorpians - yum, yum, the best of the flavors - bring as many as you can. They show up yellow at night under a black light - that is the easiest way to catch them.

On the same day we are also having the amazing 'Alternatives to Dentists Workshop' so check that out when you get to the website. Both of these incredible events will be held at the Watterson Hall in Red Rock - about 45 miles SE of Austin. You must pre-register to attend.
The Bug Festival is Only $10.00 for adults, and free for kids.

You must pre-register to attend. Go to link to workshops registration to register.
Backyard Food Production <www.backyardfoodproduction.com/dvd>

www.backyardfoodproduction.com <www.backyardfoodproduction.som>

  • [permaculture] June Bug Festival May 15, 2011 in C-Tex, Marjory, 04/18/2011