permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: 2011 Fermentation Workshops

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mIEKAL aND <QAZINGULAZA@gmail.com>
  • To: Midwestpermaculture <midwestpermaculture@yahoogroups.com>, Madison Permaculture <permaculturemadison@googlegroups.com>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: 2011 Fermentation Workshops
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 19:05:56 -0600

Don't miss the opportunity to attend one of his workshops, especially if you need any convincing to try fermenting foods.

~mIEKAL

Begin forwarded message:

From: sandorkraut@wildfermentation.com
Date: February 7, 2011 5:42:08 PM CST
To: people@dreamtimevillage.org
Subject: 2011 Fermentation Workshops

Hello friends,

Ive been in semi-seclusion trying to get my new book written. Its
another book on fermentation, more in-depth, more ferments, more
variations (many contributed by readers of Wild Fermentation and
people who have written to me), more exploration of underlying
processes, and more troubleshooting. The new book is coming along,
but slowly. Im currently projecting completing the manuscript by
September. Ive been doing lots of experiments. Lately Ive been
malting barley, making saké, hammanatto, and one of my new favorites,
smreka, a tonic beverage from Bosnia. Smreka could not be simpler to
make: Place about 2 cups (½ liter) of juniper berries in a gallon (4
liter) jug, and fill it with water. No sugar or anything else
required. Ferment for about a month, stirring or shaking and
releasing pressure periodically. Truly delicious. Thanks to Luke
Regalbuto and Maggie Levinger of Wild West Ferments for sharing that
one with me, and thanks to all of you who shared feedback, ideas, and
recipes for the book. Ill keep you posted.

To stay focused on the book project, I do not have much teaching
scheduled this coming season. But I do have some, most near home in
Tennessee, listed below. Please help spread the word. After my book
is finished I expect to resume periodic travels spreading
fermentation fervor, but I am not prepared to make more commitments
until then. However, if you are teaching fermentation classes, or
know someone who is, please send me the details and I will gladly
post them on my website. There is such a tremendous hunger for this
information that the fermentation revival needs more teachers.
Workshops can be very simple. Consider spreading your fermentation
fervor wherever you live. As always, if you wish to no longer receive
my occasional updates, please reply with the magic word "unsubscribe."

Best wishes to you.

Sandor

Sandor Ellix Katz Fermentation Workshops Spring-Summer-Fall 2011

April 15-17 (Friday-Sunday)

Woodbury, TN

www.wildfermentation.com <http://wildfermentation.com>

Focus on Miso, Koji, Amazake, and Tempeh

Learn how to make koji, grain grown with the fungus Aspergillus
oryzae, an important mold at the center of many Asian fermentation
traditions. Then well use our homemade koji to make a couple of
different styles of miso, as well as amazake. Well also grow a
different mold, Rhyzopus oligiosporus, to make tempeh.

May 21

Freestone, CA

Freestone Fermentation Festival

www.freestonefermentationfestival.com
<http://freestonefermentationfestival.com>

Check my website for additional Bay Area events that week

June 10-12 (Friday-Sunday)

Woodbury, TN

www.wildfermentation.com <http://wildfermentation.com>

Focus on Tonic Beverages

Kombucha, Tibicos (Water Kefir), Kvas, Ginger Beer, Mabi/Mauby, Whey
as a starter.

Well explore, sample, and learn methods for varied traditions of
lightly fermented beverages.

June 24-July 2

Woodbury, TN

http://www.barefootbuilder.com/workshops.html
<http://barefootbuilder.com/workshops.html>

Building With Cob Off-Grid

This one is a little off topic. My friend Christina Ott, an
experienced practitioner and teacher of building with earthen
materials, will be teaching this workshop, building a cob structure
at a mutual friends off-the-grid homestead, which he is turning into
a retreat center (www.daffodilmeadowcenter.com
<http://daffodilmeadowcenter.com>
). Cob is an ancient clay wall building method that allows nearly
unlimited creative freedom, lasts for centuries, and can be mastered
my almost anyone. I will be there on and off, sharing ferments and
offering some hands-on fermentation opportunities. This is
Christinas description of the workshop: Build a small cob building
from the foundation up. This workshop will be a small, off the grid
cob building and will offer the chance to learn all the basic skills
for building a cob house, especially on a remote off-grid building
site. We will start with the building of a stone foundation and then
learn to mix cob both by foot and with machinery. We will also frame
a simple round pole roof and apply lime and clay plasters. This is an
excellent comprehensive introduction to building with cob and is
perfect if you are planning to build off the grid.

September 9-11 (Friday-Sunday)

Woodbury, TN

www.wildfermentation.com <http://wildfermentation.com>

Focus on Dairy

Clabbering, yogurt, kefir, whey, and basic cheese concepts

October 21-23 (Friday-Sunday)

Woodbury, TN

www.wildfermentation.com <http://wildfermentation.com>

Focus on alcohol and vinegar: mead and cider

Well press apples into cider and/or pears into perry. Well also
start some mead and some vinegar, and do some bottling and tasting.

November 3-8 (Thursday-Tuesday)

Focus on Vegetables

Woodbury, TN

www.wildfermentation.com <http://wildfermentation.com>

Including harvesting with Tennessees legendary biodynamic barefoot
farmer Jeff Poppen at his Long Hungry Creek Farm in Red Boiling
Springs, TN, filling a 55-gallon oak barrel with radish kraut-chi,
and starting a batch of Japanese takuan pickles.