permaculture - [permaculture] companion planting : Earth Embassy

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] companion planting : Earth Embassy
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 05:20:21 -0500

http://www.earthembassy.org/tag/companion-planting/
* Earth Embassy’s

Companion Planting; Organic Rice, Wheat and Soy Beans

June 12, 2010 by admin

We planted our first rice paddy today! The organic rice “ine” (seedlings) are especially adapted to thrive with the cold weather we have been having this year. We planted about 125 tsubo (410m2) which should yield about 200kg of rice come harvest time in November. Seven Earth Embassy farm staff and interns did this in about 2 hrs. Thats 100kg an hour! We also helped local farmer Hirata-san plant soy beans in between rows of wheat, which will help control weeds and fix nitrogen in the soil as a fertilizer. Looking forward to home-made bread, beans and rice come fall. Hope you can join us for a meal.

  • [permaculture] companion planting : Earth Embassy, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 01/24/2011