permaculture - [permaculture] 2 interns needed, learn and practice permcaulture in Southern Oregon.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Gene Griffith <nijin@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Robert Casserly <robertcasserly@gmail.com>, Della Merrill <Della@mind.net>
  • Subject: [permaculture] 2 interns needed, learn and practice permcaulture in Southern Oregon.
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 20:04:08 -0800 (PST)

Sanctuary One at Double Oak Farm
13195 Upper Applegate
Jacksonville, OR 97530

Contact: Della Merrill, People Care Manager, Sansa Collins, Animal Care
Manager

Phone: [Office] 541-899-8627

Email: education@SanctuaryOne.org, info@SanctuaryOne.org

Website: http://sanctuaryone.org/index.html

Last Updated: 01-20-2011

General Description: Sanctuary One at Double Oak Farm is the first care farm
in
Southern Oregon. The mission of Sanctuary One is to provide a refuge for
animals and a healing place for people while promoting environmental
stewardship.

Internship Starts: April 2011
Internship Ends: Open
Number of Interns: 2
App Deadline: Open
Minimum Length of Stay: Four Months

Meals: A kitchen area is provided to store your own groceries and prepare
your
own meals. Please note we adhere to a vegetarian diet when living on or
visiting the farm.

Skills Desired: The ideal applicant will be self-motivated, dependable, a
team
player, and flexible about what kind of service-learning he or she is
assigned
to perform on a daily basis. Farming experience is a plus, but not
required.

Educational Opportunities: Our interns enjoy the chance for unbeatable
hands-on
education about permaculture: sustainable farming/organic gardening, humane
care and training of farm animals, animal-assisted therapy and horticultural
therapy, and much more.

Stipend: None. But we do offer a Health Reimbursement of up to $200 a
month,
depending on what you need to purchase, including groceries and personal
health
care items. If you can provide for yourself, that is appreciated because it
allows us to put the money to other good uses. But we will help provide for
your needs if you need help.

Housing: No guarantees are made that any specific kind of housing will be
provided, but we have a spare guest room in the farmhouse and excellent
camping
sites.

Preferred method Of Contact: Email

Internship Details: We are looking for a special person who would enjoy the
opportunity for service-learning on a care farm where people, animals, and
the
earth work together for mutual healing.

The ideal applicant will be willing and able to work 30-40 hours a week
performing a wide variety of farm chores, including gardening, feeding and
herding a variety of farm animals, mucking out the barn, moving irrigation
pipes, and other farm chores as needed. It's hard, physical work and thus
only
suitable for people who physically fit and able to work outdoors in all
sorts
of weather conditions. Training will be provided as necessary.

The ideal applicant will be willing to commit to at least 4 months, 30-40
hours
a week, with 2-3 days off per week to explore all that Southern Oregon and
Northern California have to offer. It takes a lot of time and effort to
train
our interns, so people interested in a short-term position should look
elsewhere.

Double Oak Farm has a strict no-smoking policy. All applicants must fill
out
an application form, provide character/work references, and agree to a
credit
and/or background check.

  • [permaculture] 2 interns needed, learn and practice permcaulture in Southern Oregon., Gene Griffith, 01/20/2011