permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Nutrient Dense Food

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, Market Farming <marketfarming@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Nutrient Dense Food
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 16:25:59 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [SANET-MG] Nutrient Dense Food
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 12:59:36 -0700
From: John Cowan <johncowan@BLUEBOTTLE.COM>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

As has been said, brix is a measurement of dissolved solids. In a plant,
especially leaves during the day, dissolved carbohydrates will be by far
the greatest portion of the brix measurement. Minerals, amino acids,
organic acids, etc. exist in much smaller amounts.

I have used brix leaf testing for many years and have found it to be
relevant to plant health and vigor. It can be used to predict crop
productivity or failure. Of course, there are some rules and caveats to
follow and use to interpret. And, yes, plant brix can be increased short
term (hours to days) and longer term (months to years). This can be used
together with tissue analysis and sap pH to fine tune a plant for high
yield and quality. This is being done by some people very successful. It
can be a bit of a mystery until you find what fertility elements are
most relevant to your particular soil and crop.

I find it amusing to hear the term 'nutrient dense' tossed around now
and the equating to something being 'organically grown'. The vast
majority of produce that I have tasted that came from outside my farm
was not nutrient dense - mediocre taste, poor keeping quality, insect
damage, etc. The sad part is that some relevant education could begin to
change this situation for everyone's benefit.

John Cowan