permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] soil organic matter in tropical vs. temperate soils

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, Market Farming <marketfarming@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] soil organic matter in tropical vs. temperate soils
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 18:42:53 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 16:58:33 -0500
From: Karl North <knorth@BINGHAMTON.EDU>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Greetings Jim,

What the Cuban agroecologists were showing us (you were there) was not less emphasis on SOM in warmer climates than, say, mine in NY, but a different practice and timing in its incorporation. They were building SOM for the next crop only (anything more would be a waste because burned up as you say), whereas in a temperate climate I can accumulate SOM levels over many years, and it makes sense to do so.

The Cubans generally did not point out to us visiting gringos their approach to SOM, I think because for them it is standard practice, just taken for granted for them in the tropics. But their practice of compost and other biomass incorporation contrasts so strongly with my own that eventually I discussed it with them.

Of course, as we saw, they count heavily on irrigation to get the most out of the temporary SOM boost during the crop season. If you remember, they also were teaching tiered polyculture, where leucaena and banana as full grown trees shaded understory crops to significantly lessen the need for irrigation, even in the dry season.

So I think you are right to say that SOM maintenance, not to mention
accumulation, gets harder as one gets farther into the tropics. What I
learned from the Cuban, Mexican and African farms where soil organic matter is considered important is: don't even try; build it only for the next crop.

When we begin to acknowledge the need for complex, labor-intensive farming systems,I think the Cuban agroecosystem models, adjusted for differences in climate and other conditions, are among those that will provide direction for change as industrial agriculture (80% dependent on oil energy), and even industrial organic, slowly starve in the post petroleum era.

Un abrazo, one "old white whale" to another,
Karl

--
Karl North - Northland Sheep Dairy, Freetown, New York USA http://karlnorth.com/
"Pueblo que canta no morira" - Cuban saying

  • [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] soil organic matter in tropical vs. temperate soils, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 12/31/2010