permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] water catchments

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: loren luyendyk <loren@sborganics.com>
  • To: Permaculture Listserve <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] water catchments
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 22:44:22 +0000

Most pond liners are made from polyethylene, which is pretty inert in the
realm of plastics- no BPA. Bentonite is also great, though both have their
embodied energy.

Another method is to use pigs. Once you dig out your pond, put the pigs in,
spreading their feed up the walls that have been moistened. They will root
out the feed mashing the mud. Pigs supposedly have an enzyme in their saliva
that makes clay coagulate. Joel Salatin calls it the "squealer sealer".

Whatever you do, dig your catchment deep and try to shade it, as evaporation
is a concern. Look into Keyline design for ideas of how to harvest rainwater
from runoff. A good book is "Water for Every Farm" by P.A. Yeomans.

Loren Luyendyk
(805) 452-8249
www.sborganics.com
www.surferswithoutborders.org