permaculture - Re: [permaculture] 12 Simple Things You Can Start Doing Right Now To Prepare For The Coming Financial Apocalypse

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] 12 Simple Things You Can Start Doing Right Now To Prepare For The Coming Financial Apocalypse
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 09:06:42 -0700

This was John Schinnerer's response to those "12 simple things," from a
different list. Since I'm not a believer in the Apocalypse, I thought John
about summed it up.

Toby

Aloha,

> *12 Simple Things You Can Start Doing Right Now To Prepare For The
> Coming Financial Apocalypse
> *http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/12-simple-things-you-can-start-doing-right-now-to-prepare-for-the-coming-financial-apocalypse*

I think the use of the word "simple" in the title must be some kind of a
cruel joke on those who don't understand satire.
1, 2, and 3 are good advice in general.
In a true "apocalypse" 1, 2, and 3 might be pretty much irrelevant because
jobs, debt and 'expenses' as we know them will cease to exist.
4 might be useful if one would prefer to die miserably (exposure, starvation
or both) mostly or completely alone somewhere out in the sticks rather than
with large numbers of others in urban centers.
5 ought to give a good laugh to anyone who really has spent some time working
on feeding themselves adequately by their own efforts without prior
experience or knowledge (or manufactured imported fertility).
6, 7, 8 and 9 will also likely be rather pointless in a true "apocalypse"
since one will either be taking said resources from another by force, or
having them taken from one by force (except for 9, since gold and silver have
no nutritional or insulative value and don't burn worth a darn either).
10 has got to be intentional satire, or written by someone who watched way
too many B-grade war/samurai/chop-socky/western movies. By definition one
cannot defend much of anything from "crazed looters." They're crazed, after
all. If the first hundred don't get ya, the next five hundred will.
11 is a good idea in any case, apocalypse or no.
12 gets my only unconditional satire-free approval. If we all focused
primarily on 12, we might not even need an apocalypse.

cheers,
John S.