permaculture - Re: [permaculture] FYI: Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Soil phosphate (was organic vrs conventional) - chemistry and extraction methods

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] FYI: Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Soil phosphate (was organic vrs conventional) - chemistry and extraction methods
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 01:36:12 -0800 (PST)

Ingham clearly shows the limitations, or even absurdity, of the nutritionist
approach. Soil is more than an agglomeration of nutrients. Life is more
than a chemical reaction.

Any attempt to approach organic farming by using the analytical tools of
chemical farming cannot but be self-defeating. How do you measure the
fertility of a biologically active soil that is a dynamic and living organism
by the static snap shot of a chemical analysis that tells us nothing about
the innumerable creatures soil is made of?

Any real test must be holistic and ought to include environmental impact and
health costs.

Dieter