permaculture - [permaculture] fossil fuel-free farm

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] fossil fuel-free farm
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 12:35:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Jon,

This is very exciting and appropriate.  My partner and I have a permaculture
mini-farm demonstration site in northern California that uses only ten
gallons of propane a year (for cooking) other than the Prius which we drive
5000 miles a year.  Our current carbon footprint is about 7 metric tons a
year, below the UN target for the US by 2050.  We have a kitchen garden, food
forests, numerous energy and water systems, and a strawbale/cob house that we
built with mostly on-site or local materials.  I encourage you to check out
www.coolcalfornia.org to get a sense of what it means to live without fossil
fuels.  You can also contact us for ideas.  Mountain Homestead
(www.mountainhomestead.org), in southern Oregon is the only other site that
comes close to being free of fossil fuel use, as far as I know.  They do a
lot of cooking with wood, which is something we would eventually like to do
more of.  Currently, we cook with a solar oven, microwave, and
wood stove during the Winter, in addition to our yucky propane stove.  We
also have an alcohol stove which we have never used.

I would love to hear how things go for you.  Please keep in touch.

Rain