permaculture - [permaculture] Simple earth floor?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Simple earth floor?
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 14:47:49 -0700 (PDT)

We are looking for a very simple way to do an earthen floor at Pine Ridge for
an outdoor kitchen/shade building we have. The soil is very heavy clay
(85%), with silt and not much else. We're looking for the easiest and fastest
way to do this with local materials (we have access to gravel, some sand,
milk, etc). We've researched a number of approaches, such as 6" of gravel,
topped with slurry mixture, sealed with various items. And methods from
Central America such as mixing blood with soil. We'd like the floor to be
stable, not get muddy if it gets wet. The clay is generally pretty hard
packed, but has recently been tilled. Any suggestions?

Cory