permaculture - Re: [permaculture] - Willow Wastewater Cleaning Facility

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Laurence Gaffney" <lgaffney@bigpond.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] - Willow Wastewater Cleaning Facility
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 07:16:36 +1000

Thanks for posting this Laurence London.

I have asked the Danish Designer of these systems how do they "stop the
Willow roots from clogging up the "spreading system"?

His response is below and may be of interest.

Laurence Gaffney

Hi Laurence

Thank you for your interest of the willow systems that I have developed in
1996.
Your question is difficult to explain short. But they do not clog spreading
system if the system is dimensioned very exact, the right system for
spreading is used and the rigtht cover of the system is used. And they do not
penetrate the membrane egihter. It is a question of balance between water
amount and nutrients more or less. If the willow have enough water and enough
nutrients and they are cut down in correct cycle the growth of roots are very
limited. Only roots this as sewing treat is developed.

Best regards

Peder