permaculture - [permaculture] Interesting internet democracy development

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "wenshidi@yahoo.co.uk" <wenshidi@yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Interesting internet democracy development
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 06:34:34 +0000 (GMT)

http://yourfreedom.hmg.gov.uk/

This is by far the most interesting website that I have seen in a long time.

Here is a short description from the Metro

The public is being invited to nominate laws they want to abolish in what
deputy prime minister Nick Clegg called a move away from 'the old way of
doing things'.

At the Your Freedom website people can propose ways to get rid of
pointless regulation and red tape.

Mr Clegg said: "We are turning things on their head. The traditional way of
doing things is that government tells people what to do. We are saying, "Tell
us what you don't want us to do".

Even if it changes nothing, just reading some of the very well thought out
arguments that have already been submitted is extremely stimulating.

Here are a few of my faves so far.

Change the organic farming system
Currently we have an artificial division between organic and non-organic
farmers. Organic farmers pay to be certified that they do not use chemical
fertilisers and pesticides. The have to deal with a lot of paperwork and
undergo inspections. Instead we should require farms using chemical
fertilisers and pesticides to be registered, keep records of how such things
are used/disposed of, pay for training in their correct use and disposal.

Live music
The Music Licensing Bill. This is a supposed health and safety measure that
is easily covered by other legislation, Scotland did not consider it
necessary.
In practice it means it is legal for two hundred drunken football fans to
watch a football match in a pub on wide screen television. However it is
illegal for an acoustic guitarist to play to a handful of people in an
organic restaurant unless the restaurant has a license. The punishment for
any musician that plays in a venue without a license is up to a £20,000 fine
and two years imprisonment.

LET THE POLICE SELL DRUGS
I agree with what alot of people have said about the legalistaion of cannabis
and other drugs, but not the manner in which people think it should be sold,
the Netherlands does actually have drug related crimes/social and health
problems. I think the police should sell drugs. They confiscate it from the
vicious drug dealers, so already have a healthy supply. People could then
register at their local cop shop, get a quick health check, informed of the
risks and then given the choice to buy what they want. The police can refuse
a sell based on a person's health or age, and of course keep records of how
much people are using. That way people get to buy good clean drugs from a
safe environment, and the police get to make extra revenue.
Why the contribution is important
Each police station then decides whether to recruit more officers, improve
training programmes, equipment, working conditions, salaries, the
possibilities are numerous. Drug dealers can't compete with the police and
so are out of business, better policing based on the needs of individual
communities serve the people instead of the government. EVERYBODY'S HAPPY!

Overall, the site has some of the most out of the box, contrarian thinking
that I have seen in a long time. I hope that based on this recommendation,
everybody else, regardless of whether they are in the UK, will enjoy its
postings as much as I am.

Chris

  • [permaculture] Interesting internet democracy development, wenshidi@yahoo.co.uk, 07/10/2010