permaculture - [permaculture] Oliver the youngest

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Tripp Tibbetts <slowfoodguy@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Oliver the youngest
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 10:12:39 -0700 (PDT)

I have debated myself for the past few weeks over whether I should post this
or not.  In the end, I think it was the name and its meaning that won out.

My son, Oliver Gene, was born at noon on the summer solstice, a strong
healthy lad at nearly 9 lbs and 21 inches.  The name Oliver was taken from
David Holmgren's son (there are too many Davids in my family already!), and
out of respect to David and his work that has so radically changed my life.
The middle name, Gene, is a family name, but on a personal level reflects my
belief that our mental paradigm shift from agriculture to
horticulture/permaculture will at least affect our epigenetic markers, if not
the core genome itself.

I planted 3 olive trees in my son's honor and have dedicated the remainder of
my life to raising a man who will live far more consciously than I have to
date, improving the world around him as a producer and steward of life.

David Holmgren, if you are lurking out there, I hope you saw this subject
line and read my note.  I can't thank you enough for the awakening you've
brought to my wife and me.  It really has been revolutionary, and just gets
better every day.

Your permacultural mate,
Tripp Tibbetts
Georgia, USA