permaculture - [permaculture] Juliet Schor: Harvard and Boston academic, economist on permaculture, transition, cooperatives etc, what she calls Plenitude

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Nicholas Roberts, Permaculture.coop" <permaculturecoop@gmail.com>
  • To: pil-pc-oceania <pil-pc-oceania@lists.permacultureinternational.org>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Juliet Schor: Harvard and Boston academic, economist on permaculture, transition, cooperatives etc, what she calls Plenitude
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 16:10:04 -0700

Juliet Schor on Plenitude

http://permaculture.tv/juliet-schor-on-plenitude/
Tags:Juliet Schor <http://permaculture.tv/tag/juliet-schor/>,open source
ecology
<http://permaculture.tv/tag/open-source-ecology/>,Plenitude<http://permaculture.tv/tag/plenitude/>
Posted
in permaculture.tv <http://permaculture.tv/category/permaculturetv/>Leave a
Comment <http://permaculture.tv/juliet-schor-on-plenitude/#comment>

*Juliet Schor <http://www.julietschor.org/>: Harvard and Boston academic,
economist on permaculture, transition, cooperatives etc, what she calls
Plenitude <http://www.julietschor.org/>*

[image: juliet-600]

In Plenitude <http://www.julietschor.org/the-book/>: The New Economics of
True Wealth, economist and bestselling author Juliet B. Schor offers a
groundbreaking intellectual statement about the economics and sociology of
ecological decline, suggesting a radical change in how we think about
consumer goods, value, and ways to live.

Humans are degrading the planet far faster than they are regenerating it. As
we travel along this shutdown path, food, energy, transport and consumer
goods are becoming increasingly expensive. The economic downturn that has
accompanied the ecological crisis has led to another type of scarcity:
incomes, jobs, and credit are also in short supply. Our usual way back to
growth — a debt-financed consumer boom — is no longer an option our
households, or planet, can afford.

Responding to our current moment, Plenitude puts sustainability at its core,
but it is not a paradigm of sacrifice. Instead it’s an argument that through
a major shift to new sources of wealth, green technologies, and different
ways of living, individuals and the country as a whole can actually be
better off and more economically secure.

And as Schor observes, Plenitude is already emerging. In pockets around the
country and the world, people are busy creating lifestyles that offer a way
out of the work and spend cycle. These pioneers’ lives are scarce in
conventional consumer goods and rich in the newly abundant resources of
time, information, creativity and community. Urban farmers, D.I.Y
renovators, Craig’s List users, cob builders — all are spreading their risk
and establishing novel sources of income and outlets for procuring consumer
goods. Taken together, these trends represent a movement away from the
conventional market and offer a way toward an efficient, rewarding life in
an era of high prices and traditional resource scarcity.

Based on recent developments in economic theory, social analysis, and
ecological design, as well as evidence from the cutting edge people and
places putting these ideas into practice, Plenitude is a road map for the
next two decades. In encouraging us to value our gifts — nature, community,
intelligence, and time — Schor offers the opportunity to participate in
creating a world of wealth and well-being.

Juliet Schor: Plenitude <http://vimeo.com/12034640> from
toddboyle<http://vimeo.com/user1891999>
on Vimeo <http://vimeo.com/>.
Juliet Schor

>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliet_Schor#p-search>

*Juliet Schor* is a Professor <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor> of
sociology <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sociology> at Boston
College<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_College>.
She studies trends in working
time<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_time> and
leisure,consumerism <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumerism>, the
relationship between work and family, women’s issues and economic justice.
She received her undergraduate degree from Wesleyan
University<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesleyan_University> and
her Ph.D in economics from the University of
Massachusetts<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Massachusetts>.
Before joining Boston College <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_College>,
she taught at Harvard
University<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_University> for
17 years, in the Department of Economics and the Committee on Degrees in
Women’s Studies. In 2006 she was awarded the Leontief Prize by the Global
Development and Environment
Institute<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Development_and_Environment_Institute>.
She has two children who currently reside in Newton with her, Krishna and
Sulakshana. She authored:

- *Born to Buy: The Commercialized Child*
- *The New Consumer Culture*
- *The Overworked American: The Unexpected Decline of Leisure* [1993]
- *The Overspent American: Upscaling, Downshifting and the New Consumer*
[1999]
- *Do Americans Shop too Much?*
- *Plentitude* [2010]

She co-edited:

- *The Golden Age of Capitalism: Reinterpreting the Postwar Experience*
- *The Consumer Society Reader*
- *Sustainable Planet: Solutions for the 21st Century*

External links

- Boston College faculty listing <http://www2.bc.edu/~schorj/>
- The Overworked American <http://users.ipfw.edu/ruflethe/american.html>,
excerpt
- Transcript of interview with Time.com about *The Overspent
American*<http://www.time.com/time/community/transcripts/chattr052098.html>,
May, 1998

Nicholas Roberts & Kirstie Stramler

Denmark 36 96 49 02