permaculture - [permaculture] ANSI Sustainable Ag Standards Committee

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: Market Farming <marketfarming@lists.ibiblio.org>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] ANSI Sustainable Ag Standards Committee
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 12:32:54 -0400

There is definitely a concerted effort afoot to identify GMO technology as sustainable - this is what we are confronted with in the ANSI Sustainable Ag Standards Committee, and why it is important to follow that effort and get involved as you can.

Laura, we definitely need help with those "easy" criteria and indicators
that can be applied in a site-specific way. There is a group of us on this Committee who represent the values and principles that most of this list serve would support - and we need as much help as we can get. This is a very open and transparent process, and anyone who is interested can see all meeting minutes and draft documents, and can participate fully in Subcommittee work. The voting membership is pretty well balanced and not controlled by the conventional ag side of things, hard as they try to make it so.

There is a meeting coming up in Fayetteville, AR this Monday-Tuesday, and anyone who can make it is welcome as an Observer. You just have to contact Amanda Raster at the Leonardo Academy (cc:d above). More information (lots more) is available via the wiki site:
http://sites.google.com/site/sustainableagstandards/about-this-project.

Thanks for your good work,

Grace

Grace Gershuny
Member, ANSI Sustainable Agriculture Standards Committee

  • [permaculture] ANSI Sustainable Ag Standards Committee, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 06/10/2010