permaculture - Re: [permaculture] More robust plant growth around termite mounds.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] More robust plant growth around termite mounds.
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 17:57:13 -0400

Crystal Powers wrote:
I have noticed a similar occurance with the large ant hills (~1' tall by
1-2' wide) that are in my new pasture. We are in Zone 5 in East Central
Nebraska, USA. We just moved in late last fall, and I noticed all these big
mounds, probably a least a 100 of them out in my pasture, it wasn't until
this spring when I saw the ants at work that I figured out what they were.
Haven't looked up what kind of ant yet: black, 1/2" long, not aggressive.

The grass grows extra thick on top and around these mounds and I figure it
is similar to what is being seen in the termite mounds.
~Crystal

Good to know. Those ants may be fire ants. I'll keep an eye on mine as they build new mounds around my fields.
So, fire ants are a mixed blessing but can be a problem in the yard.

LL