permaculture - Re: [permaculture] vetiver system as a possible approach to minimizing gulf oil disaster

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kevin Topek <ktopek@att.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] vetiver system as a possible approach to minimizing gulf oil disaster
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 09:34:22 -0500

Laura,

I have been using Vetiver to stabilize 1,200 ft along a drainage channel next to a suburban subdivision. It has prevented erosion of the channel. It is also absorbing the fertilizer, pesticide and herbicide runoff with no deleterious effect to the Vetiver. It has beautiful red blooms in the fall and produces lots of biomass. It also survived a very hard winter and has rebounded like a champ.

Kevin Topek