permaculture - [permaculture] Vermont Permaculture Design Certification

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Morris <earthsurfing@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Vermont Permaculture Design Certification
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 13:21:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,
I hope this message finds you well.
I realize most on this list probably already have their PDC- but there is a
top-rate course in Vermont this summer that we would love to have some more
geographical diversity in.  Last year we had several folks from Oregon, with
representatives from Florida, Costa Rica, Quebec, and (of course) Vermont,
New York, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts.
Please feel free to share with any lists, networks, or other folks that may
be interested.
Its June 13-25, and the description is below.
Best,Keith
http://transitionvermont.ning.com/events/3rd-annual-burlington

Burlington Permaculture is pleased to announce the third annual summer
Permaculture Design Certification course at Rock Point in Burlington!

Set in the most expansive natural area in the city of Burlington, hidden on
the shores of Lake Champlain, and touring some of the areas most innovative
farms, homesteads, nurseries, and more, this course combines wild ecology,
radical urban sustainability, and hands-on design and co-creation of vibrant,
wholly nourishing human landscapes.

Permaculture is an evolving and expanding system of design for ecological
living: integrating plants, animals, buildings, people, communities,
economies, and the landscapes that surround us.

This intensive introduces and develops permaculture concepts and principles
to help us create beautiful, sustainable, productive, and regenerative human
environments using natural ecosystems as models.

This two week residential Permaculture Design Certification course goes above
and beyond the standard curriculum, led by a group of some of the most
experienced designers, farmers, and educators in Vermont and the Northeast.
Together, we'll design and implement permaculture solutions for a multi-use
community center and nature preserve, and each student will also be guided in
generating a whole systems design for space of their own choosing.

We focus on permaculture as a framework for understanding and integrating the
vast diversity of technologies and trends in the movement for sustainability,
and advance permaculture ethics and skills as a new cultural paradigm. Our
two week intensive introduces:

in-depth site analysis and assessment, mapping skills, design practice,
soils, ecological agriculture, edible forest gardening, swales. keylines,
carbon-negative farming, integrated poultry and livestock systems, urban
agriculture and homesteading techniques, ecoforestry, coppice management,
holistic beekeeping, beneficial insect and pollinator support, plant ID,
natural building techniques and skills, ecological restoration, seed saving,
bioremediation, urban permaculture and 'renter's permaculture' skills,
fermentation, root cellars, passive solar greenhouses, plant propagation,
perennial vegetables, and more!

As we acknowledge the convergent crises of Peak Oil, Climate Change, and
economic 'uncertainty', we can listen to the apocalyptic visions of
'doomers', or embrace one of the greatest opportunities in generations to
restructure society with ecological and ethical sanity, and local resilience-
learn how by taking part.

Overnight trips and Local Organic Meals all included in the affordable
tuition, a variety of lodging options are available at very reasonable rates
at the conference center, from camping to private suites. Scholarships and
financial aid may be available through VSAC. Discounts for Transition Town
members, group registrations, and recruiting friends, are available for early
registrants.

Space is limited-and last year this course filled very quickly, reserve your
space by registering now.

This course is presented in partnership with Burlington Permaculture,
Prospect Rock Permaculture, Rivenwood Crafts, Keyline Vermont, Rock Point
School, The Episcopal Diocese of Vermont, The Bishop Booth Conference Center,
Round River Designs, Whole Farms Services, and is Accredited by the
International Permaculture Institute and the Permaculture Institute of the
Northeast (P.I.N.E.).

For More information:

http://burlingtonpermaculture.googlepages.com/summerpdc

Experienced permaculture designers and alumni are welcome to present, review
students designs, network, or just join us for a local organic meal!

Evening sessions and film screenings will be open to interested public.

Keith Morris
Prospect Rock Permaculture
Design and Education for Ecological Culture
* Whole Farm Services * Whole Systems Design *
Presently running Educational Programs through:
* UVM * Sterling College * Yestermorrow Design Build School *
* Paul Smiths College * Burlington Permaculture *
P.O. Box 426
Jeffersonville, VT 05464
earthsurfing@yahoo.com
(802) 734-1129

"If we do not do the impossible, we shall be faced with the unthinkable."
Murray Bookchin (1921-2006)