permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The Cusichaca Trust Home Page

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The Cusichaca Trust Home Page
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:26:01 -0400

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
The Cusichaca Trust Home Page
http://www.cusichaca.org/
"With over 30 years experience in the field, the Cusichaca Trust (CT) has pioneered the restoration of traditional Andean agricultural terraces and irrigation canals and established itself as a leading exponent of 'applied archaeology' in rural development.

We work closely with local partners in Peru, devising projects that reduce poverty and increase self-sufficiency amongst isolated rural communities.

The Trust has shown that the technological achievements of the past are not just something for academic research or for tourists to admire. They can be put back to work to help solve contemporary problems."

Have a look at this series of pictures and documentation about their work in terrace and canal restpration. Just ..... incredible!
Look at this shot of their restored terrace system: Andamarca, Ayacucho 2005 and the picture of market vendors with their offerings of corn (the like of which I have never seen before [I counted 9 varieties with huge kernels]! Oh, to have seed for those varieties to grow here in NC):
Food Production On Terraces.

Talk about using Keyline plowing techniques to channel water; have a look at their system of canals, one feeding another.

"The Potential of terraces.

Sustainability in the face of climatic change and rainfall patterns

The advantages of retention of humidity and enhanced microbiologĂ­cal activity which create microclimates

Their contribution to improving diet and health through agro-ecological (organic) cultivation"