permaculture - [permaculture] Introduction

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Introduction
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 02:17:26 -0700 (PDT)

I just found out about this list and would like to introduce myself.

I've been teaching permaculture and doing food forestry in a number of
locations for a few years. I'm currently working on two major projects.

I've been involved in the OLCERI project at Pine Ridge Lakota reservation for
several years, since its inception. Pine Ridge is the poorest county in the
US with up to 90% unemployment and a host of social ills. It is located in a
harsh environment with a very short growing season. Lots of challenges, but
also many incredible resources and abundances!

Last year, we held a Permaculture Design Course there with the wonderful
Warren Brush as the instructor and this opened up many possibilites as Warren
assessed some of the broadscale work that could be done at the rez.

Our idea of a sustainability school on the rez started manifesting.

This year, we are planning a number of courses there, including food
forestry, straw bale, PDC, Keyline, Regenerative Skills, etc. It is a
wonderful mix of indigenous culture and permaculture. The idea is to set up a
fully sustainable/regenerative demonstration site at Pine Ridge with full
economic components and major broadscale regeneration of ecosystems, as well
as self-sufficient operation.

We would like to accomplish a number of major projects there this summer
toward that end. We are seeking funding for a keyline plow and building
materials, which will be leveraged in a number of ways including receipt of
major grant monies. We will be offering internships and wwoofing opportunties
along with the courses. This reservation has such a rich history and it is
exciting to see these things unfold.

The other project is in Haiti - I've been assisting a team of Permaculture
Relief Corp first responders who arrived shortly after the earthquake. They
have been putting in sanitation systems and teaching Haitians low tech water
filtration techniques which can save lives. Currently, they are moving into
"teaching the teachers" via some of the key local Haitian organizations and
in coordination with the Haitian government. This program also needs funding
and all donations will go directly to Haiti to be leveraged by teaching
teachers. We would like to set up a permaculture school there as well...

I recently finished teaching a Permaculture Design Course in Miami and am en
route to Los Angeles, where I spend several months of the year.

I'm looking forward to sharing and learning with the larger permaculture
community...

To the garden,

Cory Brennan
permacultureguild.us

  • [permaculture] Introduction, Cory Brennan, 03/15/2010