permaculture - Re: [permaculture] transition from urban lawn to permaculture landscape

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: katey culver <newtribe@hughes.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] transition from urban lawn to permaculture landscape
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:01:12 -0600

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 12:45 AM, <yarrow@sfo.com> wrote:

> The #1 thing to do, if you do nothing else, is mulch. The sooner you
> do this the better, because all the spring weeds are flourishing
> right now, and it's a good idea to protect your soil. The easiest way
> to start is to get a lot of newspaper or cardboard, a hose (to water
> down the paper so it won't blow away before you can get it covered),

Yes, mulch, asap. I like to soak my cardboard *before* putting down.
Running a hose over layers of cardboard will take a lot of water to wet the
cardboard, the water will want to run off more than soak in. By using a
barrel of water to soak it first you get it fully wet and it stays in place
as soon as you lay it down, no worries if there is a breeze while you work,
unlike laying it down dry.

There is no one right way. Have faith in your intuition - just do it.
Katey

--
Katey Culver
www.earthandstraw.com

“The most remarkable feature of this historical moment on Earth is not that
we are on the way to destroying the world-we've actually been on the way for
quite a while. It is that we are beginning to wake up, as from a
millennia-long sleep, to a whole new relationship to our world, to ourselves
and each other.”
~Joanna Macy