permaculture - [permaculture] Best edible plants in Zone 5 rain garden?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Joan Huyser-Honig" <joan@hhcreatives.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Best edible plants in Zone 5 rain garden?
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:44:30 -0500

Many residential and organizational property owners in our area are planting
rain gardens, mainly with native ornamental plants. Can anyone recommend
(native) edible perennials that would do well in a rain garden in Zone 5
(hardy to -20 F)? As I understand it, rain gardens sometimes hold water for
up to 48 hours in their deepest sections, so I'd also like to know whether
recommended edibles can take standing water for two days or whether they
should be planted more toward the rain garden edges.

Joan Huyser-Honig

Huyser-Honig Creative Services
1016 Oakdale Street SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49507

Telling Your Stories, Advancing Your Cause

Phone: (616) 241-0931 x11
Fax: (616) 241-1500
<mailto:joan@hhcreatives.com> joan@hhcreatives.com
<http://www.hhcreatives.com/> www.hhcreatives.com