permaculture - [permaculture] John McCain Introduces Bill Attacking Consumer Access to Supplements

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: Permaculture ibiblio <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, BPG <bloomington_permaculture_guild@lists.riseup.net>
  • Subject: [permaculture] John McCain Introduces Bill Attacking Consumer Access to Supplements
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 14:48:24 -0500

*Senator John McCain Introduces Bill Attacking Consumer Access to Supplements*

This bill would repeal key sections of the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act, which guarantees consumers the right to purchase dietary supplements.

Please contact your senators now to tell them not to co-sponsor this Anti-Consumer, Anti-Health Freedom Bill.

McCain's so-called Dietary Supplement Safety Act (DSSA) would repeal key sections of the popular Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA). It would give the FDA unilateral power, with little or no scientific justification, to ban vitamin supplements except for those produced by Big Pharma corporations.

If McCain's bill passes, we can look to Europe for a snapshot of what we may be in for: EFSA, the European Food Safety Authority, has sharply reduced the list of available supplements and is in process of reducing potencies to ridiculous levels, such as less beta carotene than can be found in half of a large carrot. Europeans already look to the US to obtain their dietary supplements. If this bill passes, where will we obtain ours?

Please take action immediately. Tell your senators NOT to co-sponsor the McCain's anti-consumer legislation and to do everything in their power to defeat it. Then forward this to your friends and family and ask them to do the same!

Take action <http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=MHaRhI%2BRlqFv2rfbIn8tBh%2FneON13gMa>

--

Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."

- Transition Indiana <http://transitionindiana.blogspot.com/> - Blog <http://transitionindiana.blogspot.com/>

- Transition Bloomington <http://transitionbloomingtonind.ning.com/>
- The Gardeners' World Blog <http://theecosystem.blogspot.com/>
- Renaissance Farm and Permaculture Center <http://bloomingtongrowers.locallygrown.net/growers/show/212>
- Bloomington Permaculture Growers Cooperative <http://bloomingtongrowers.locallygrown.net/>
- Bloomington Permaculture Guild Blog <http://bloomingtonpermacultureguild.blogspot.com/> - Calendar <http://my.calendars.net/bloomingtonpccal/>
- Switch to Solar Power the Easy Way <http://www.jointhesolution.com/KeithJ-SunPower>

  • [permaculture] John McCain Introduces Bill Attacking Consumer Access to Supplements, Keith Johnson, 02/11/2010