permaculture - Re: [permaculture] pics images from permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lois Grossman <lgrossm2@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] pics images from permaculture
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 20:29:26 -0500

Hi, Thomas

In October 0f 2008 I built a "lasagna" garden that I'm very proud of. It was
built on cardboard that was laid on unplowed land. The first year there were
nine layers of peat, organic cow manure, seaweed, scythed hay, compost (our
own), and grass clippings. That is shown in the reddish strip you see at the
bottom of the picture, which was taken a year later, in October 2009. I'm
layering more material on top of the old, without turning the soil and will
plant directly in it in May. Last year we had bountiful yields of peas,
beans, chard, New Zealand spinach and cucumbers. I will plant more deeply
rooted crops as the soil depth increases.

The garden is in Eastport, Maine. Feel free to use the photograph if it is
helpful to you.

Lois Grossman