permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: The future of humanitarian crisis information sharing

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Permaculture Cooperative <permaculturecoop@gmail.com>
  • To: pil-pc-oceania <pil-pc-oceania@lists.permacultureinternational.org>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: The future of humanitarian crisis information sharing
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:27:52 +1000

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: reconfigure@gmail.com <reconfigure@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 3:42 AM
To: MP_Public <mp_public@mppublic.talklist.com>

Indeed. Myself and Robert Steele have been posting a lot of content related
to this at these two links:

http://www.phibetaiota.net/?p=20802

http://www.phibetaiota.net/?p=21276

+ ----------------------------------------------------------------- +
| Jason Liszkiewicz |
| Executive Director (NYC): |
| Earth Intelligence Network 501(c)3 |
| Public Intelligence in the Public Interest |
| http://www.phibetaiota.net |
| http://twitter.com/earthintelnet |
| http://www.youtube.com/earthintelnet |
| http://www.earth-intelligence.net |
| NYC mobile/sms = 347.907.4168 |
| Exploring.Collecting.Connecting. |
+ ------------------------------------------------------------------+

"True Cost" T-Shirt: http://true-cost.re-configure.org/true_cost_shirt.htm

CyberScout/Mobile Citizen Intel Link-Tables = http://tr.im/irCi

Free Books:
Collective Intelligence: Creating a Prosperous World at Peace =
http://tr.im/jo9S

Innovative Concepts for Now or Never:
http://smart-city.re-configure.org

On 1/21/10, mike gravino <mikegravino@yahoo.com> wrote:

> *MP nodes and participants...the pace of innovation in the relief and
> development world is very fast...has our future's projection of this sector
> been on target? please review the following article...very informative...
> *
>

> from Wired Magazine's Danger Room
>

> http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/01/disaster-relief-20-haitis-virtual-surge/
>
> by Nathan Hodge
>

> During a large-scale humanitarian crisis, information is key. Coordination
> among relief agencies is essential, so that efforts are not duplicated and
> resources go where they are most needed.
>
> With collaborative tools, disaster-response teams and relief workers can
> identify risk zones and emerging threats more rapidly. Courtesy of a tech
> community “SitRep” (situational report) created and shared by Luke Beckman
> of the nonprofit group InSTEDD <http://www.instedd.org/>, we have some
> insight into how humanitarian organizations, aid groups and the military can
> tap information to help in the relief effort.
>
> For instance, OpenStreetMap, a free wiki world map, offers an excellent
> depiction of the situation on the
> ground<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=18.72&lon=-72.68&zoom=8&layers=B000FTF>,
> as volunteers mark the locations of aid stations, tent camps and working
> hospitals. The data is available as web maps, as well as Garmin
> images<http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us>for use in handheld GPS
> devices. OpenStreetMap
> tools <http://labs.geofabrik.de/haiti/> are available for download.
>
> As we noted here before, U.S. Southern Command has created a portal for
> civil-military coordination <http://community.apan.org/>. In addition, the
> military command has a restricted, but unclassified, site for government
> agencies involved in the effort; it has also shared imagery from an RQ-4
> Global Hawk surveillance
> drone<http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/01/pentagon-shares-earthquake-images-from-high-flying-spy-drone/>
> .
>
> Google is hosting satellite imagery
> files<http://www.google.com/relief/haitiearthquake/geoeye.html>made
> available by
> GeoEye <http://www.geoeye.com/>, which agreed to provide the data, free of
> charge, for use by relief organizations. The images were captured by the
> GeoEye-One satellite one day after the Jan. 12 earthquake. The files are
> intended for use by professionals with GIS mapping
> software<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GIS_software>,
> but readers interested in viewing the images can use the available Google
> Earth Haiti
> files<http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2010/01/haiti-imagery-layer-now-available.html>
> .
>
> The Crisis Commons
> Wiki<http://wiki.crisiscommons.org/index.php?title=Haiti/2010_Earthquake>has
> a great list of resources available, including situation maps, links to
> [...]

  • [permaculture] Fwd: The future of humanitarian crisis information sharing, Permaculture Cooperative, 01/22/2010