permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Climate Ag Talk

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Climate Ag Talk
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 09:53:28 -0500

grifenhope@gmail.com wrote:
Are we convinced, as a pseúdo movement, that co2 ís a problem?

The problem is not whether C02 is an issue of major concern,
which it is, but that the public's attention is mostly on C02, carbon sinks, carbon credits, all the buzzwords that connect to the myriad issues that are popular in the news media, and used by them to generate
sales. The real problem is human caused global warming through c02 buildup in the atmosphere, pollution of the atmosphere, water and soil
with man made or man-processed substances, their manufacturing by-products, solid waste (floating trash islands in the sea), human waste, depletion of non renewable resources, i.e. phosphorous, fossil fuels and metals of all sorts and the sins of omission committed by man
in ignoring opportunities to make creative changes, recycle and reuse materials and products and otherwise not making anywhere near adequate attempts to reduce and eventually eliminate these problems that result in the befouling of our nest.

The big one I see, though there are many others of equal importance I am blindsided to is failure to:

1) build and live creatively in energy efficient dwellings, superinsulate them
2) build your own house tools, appliances
3) heat with solar & thermal mass, cool with shading & thermal mass
4) spend $$$ up front for long durability materials and methods when constructing a home or outbuildings
5) live frugally
6) recycle, restore and reuse
7) grow your own food or buy from local growers
8) eliminate the flush toilet
9) conserve water use and collect rainwater
10) reduce travel in trucks and automobiles,
11) walk more or use bicycles or electric vehicles
12) stay at home more, devote more time and thought to the homestead,
self-educate and homeschool, build libraries
13) learn how to be self sufficient and live independently
14) form communities, virtual and real, intentional, eco & permaculture
15) learn manual skills and make your own, build a shop and equip it
(remember J. Baldwin of WEC fame, a great role model)
16) become a farmer, create a product and market it
17) construct, develop and deploy neighborhood food, goods & services
production, marketing and distribution networks, overlap with other local networks to form area networks that overlap to form regional networks that overlap to form a national network. It can become an international network after that.
18) live peacefully, creatively and happily and let that become a goal
17) <fill in the blank>

That for starters.