permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Homesteading forum

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Homesteading forum
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 15:00:44 -0500

paul wheaton wrote:
I have been active in HT since day 1. They used to be the forums for
countryside mag.

I have to say that I like the forums. But you should be prepared for
the mentality of "if you ain't using roundup, you're doing it all
wrong." And the forums appear to be managed by a clique of rather
hostile, rather conservative folks. They do openly crush opinions
alternate to their own. There are a lot of regulars at permies.com
that used to be regulars at HT.

I subscribe to BHM: there's a lot of good articles in there. Real
meaty stuff. And there are a lot of bits I skip over.

Thanks for the interesting feedback, Paul. Countryside magazine, like Mother Earth News, Country Journal, Horticulture, Fine Gardening, and Harrowsmith were all excellent but few survived.

I am beginning to see that there is a real need for good forums for
market farmers, homesteaders, permaculturists, gardeners and small
and large diversified family farms, so it is good to find the worthwhile resources in those that exist for the benefit of people in those groups.

It will probably be worthwhile to tap the resources in this pc list, permies homessteading forum and Homesteading Today to
find what you need and find out what others are doing as homesteaders.

One thing for sure is that at permies, HT and here you will find scores of links to fascinating, valuable resources across the Web, especially blogs. Folks seem to like blogs for a web presence for their homestead, market farm, shop, crafts, cooking and farm. They fill them with long essays, galleries of pictures and videos. Google's array of apps offerings to bloggers are extensive, colorful, useful, integrated and interactive. It is amazing what you will find. For a good example see:
down home at The Hennery
http://www.thehennery.blogspot.com/

Google offers:
blog
website
email
custom search engines
blog search engines
RSS feeds
adsense & monetize (you can derive a monthly income from Google ads)
and much more