permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Large scale farming - sustainable? Profitable?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lee Flier <leeflier@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Large scale farming - sustainable? Profitable?
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 09:35:55 -0500

Thanks for pointing that out Larry - I was in fact going to check the permies.com site to see if there was anything on this topic. I have yet to post there but it's a great site!

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
All of us reading and posting to Lee's excellent new thread (and BTW keep the subject line unchanged and not highjack the discussion) really need to read an identical thread at Paul Wheaton's permies.com.
Here are the primary URLs for those threads and sample of feedback.

http://www.permies.com/permaculture-forums/505_0/farm-income/is-permaculture-economically-viable
Its up to 2 pages of input so far.

"A lot of the permaculture systems that I've looked at seem to be smaller scale: a garden, a home, a plot of land that somebody runs to feed their family or as a hobby. Many of them have successfully created healthy, sustainable ecosystems, but I haven't seen one yet that is economically successful as well. What examples have you found of larger farms that can pay their mortgage based on the yield from their permaculture establishment? Are there well-known examples?"
"I'm talking about starting from scratch......is it possible to buy some land, pay the mortgage and the bills and create enough income from it to survive?"

Top level group: farm income
http://www.permies.com/permaculture-forums/41.0

This is well worth reading and participating in. This forum and others there in the ag arena are going places!