permaculture - [permaculture] Hopniss: North America's best wild tuber? Also Known as Indian Potato or Groundnut (Apios americana). An article by Sam Thayer.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Hopniss: North America's best wild tuber? Also Known as Indian Potato or Groundnut (Apios americana). An article by Sam Thayer.
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 04:36:33 -0500

Hopniss: North America's best wild tuber?
Also Known as Indian Potato or Groundnut (Apios americana).
An article by Sam Thayer.
http://www.wildflowers-and-weeds.com/The_Forager/hopniss.htm

"How thoughtful of the Creator to have designed such a plant as this: that on the banks of the rivers and lakes where for millennia the Earth-People have harvested their wild rice, a tuber grows in profusion which, combined with that grain, provides all the protein the body needs."

Is this true? rice and groundnuts (and/or other plants in the vegetable kingdom) provide one with all the protein the body needs? no B12 tablets or ovo/lacto/pesco/red/white meat required.

I have heard not, i.e. possibility of B12 deficiency from a pure vegan diet, but I would like to hear differently.

  • [permaculture] Hopniss: North America's best wild tuber? Also Known as Indian Potato or Groundnut (Apios americana). An article by Sam Thayer., Lawrence F. London, Jr., 12/18/2009