permaculture - [permaculture] Approaches To A Just World Order Boing Boing

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Approaches To A Just World Order Boing Boing
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 19:35:33 -0500

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/12/15/approaches-to-a-just.html
Paul Spinrad
POSTED AT 4:26 PM December 15, 2009
guestblog • politics
Approaches To A Just World Order

"I was at Columbia the same time that Barack Obama was there-- he was a senior when I was a freshman-- and although I never met him, I would guess that we have a formative experience in common: Saul Mendlovitz's Approaches To A Just World Order" class.

Some upperclassmen pals whom I sang with clued me into this class, which had a cult following on campus. It was a huge lecture course out of the Political Science department, but people from all majors took it-- and that's how Professor Mendlovitz wanted it. The class was basically about solving great problems on a global scale, formulating optimal world governance-- in other words, Saving The World. Mendlovitz openly described his class as indoctrination, and he often repeated this point: You young people, sitting in this room, are the leaders of tomorrow. You will inherit the world some day, and you will be able to change it and make it better. So aim high-- agree that this is what you want to do, know that you can, conspire to make it happen, and stay true to your vision."

  • [permaculture] Approaches To A Just World Order Boing Boing, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 12/15/2009