permaculture - [permaculture] All the nitogen fixing trees everywhere. Optimistic?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ray Cirino <cobanation@yahoo.com>
  • To: 'permaculture' <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] All the nitogen fixing trees everywhere. Optimistic?
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 23:41:36 -0800 (PST)

Dear fruit tree growers,
I couldn't help to realize that most of the USA have non edible trees in the
cities and sprawl areas. When I drive around the LA area it drives me nuts
seeing all front and back yards really into their non-edible boring
landscape. Garden centers hardly stock any edibles. Here's what I think is
going to happen. All the years America has been out of farming and everyone
having an edible garden, people have not had to grow food, so they grew
nitrogen fixing trees and shrubs. To grow good fruit, the soils need these
nitrogen based trees to really pop. I think if we had been growing fruit
trees the last 60 years we'd be in trouble, because most soils would lack the
right balance. In conclusion now we can start planting fruit trees, because
the soils are ready, waiting for a food forest. Maybe things aren't as bad as
they look.
Ray

The Great Challenges we now face as a species present the very opportunities
that are giving birth to Ecological, Psychological, and Spiritual
Sustainability.

  • [permaculture] All the nitogen fixing trees everywhere. Optimistic?, Ray Cirino, 12/09/2009