permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Permaculture TV - The Real Dirt On Farmer John

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <ktho@comcast.net>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Permaculture TV - The Real Dirt On Farmer John
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 17:34:30 -0800

LL said:

"> bail me out ktho... ... or is that chuthlu.. :#)-<
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/Cthulhu_and_R%27lyeh.jpg
"

LOL! Depends on if I've had my coffee yet or not :)

I haven't seen this movie, but I've read the reviews. I was unaware that
he'd inherited a great farm and nearly crashed it. That is inexcuseable.

One thing I'd like to see happen are trade schools for new farmers. John
Ikerd has written quite a bit about the large numbers of new small and
medium sized farmers coming into farming from non-farming backgrounds.
Surely the new urban farmers are part of the demographic. They have to start
from scratch because, IMPO, Farming is an Art form passed on by Tradition
Bearers, and almost all of the hundreds of years of farming knowledge -
that was sensible - can be lost in a generation.

IMPO this is the cultural piece of how the Dust Bowl was created. I have no
proof, but have often thought about this. Non-farmers trying to figure it
out from scratch on land that was never farmable in the first place ruined
the land because they didn't know, and possibly didn't care, what they were
doing. Multi-generational farmers who knew better, likely steered clear of
that kind of land. Only the landless who believed that having land was the
way to become somebody, were desperate enough to go for those deals, as had
the generations before them. When colonial Virginian's finally forced their
way into the Ohio Valley and The Kaintuckee, (the Garden of Eden of the
Shawnee, the Cherokee, the Creek, and many other Nations and tribal bands of
that area), the new white farmers boasted about how many farms they'd worn
out and moved on to as they moved from Kentucky to Ohio and Indiana and
westward. Use it up and move on. But I have to wonder how many of these
people were ever from multi-generational farming families who had to make a
living in the same place for centuries. They were landless recently
indentured servants who had to have land to get the vote.

The Amish on the other hand, have farmed the same places for going on what -
almost 3 centuries now?

If anyone could run trade schools for new farmers, and teach both organic
and permacultural practices, it would be the Amish and the permaculturists.
I think there would be way to do that, maybe on the Berea College model,
employing entire faculties, and thus making it possible for all of us to
make livings while trying to hold the world together long enough to
regenerate Herself.

What do you all think?

Hugs,

Chuthlu